- Historic first visit by Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester on the 26 September.
- Chairman and General Manager’s 4th annual open forum to be held on 2nd October at The Met.
- National General Manager’s Safety Group meeting to be hosted at the ELR on weekend 12 & 13 October.
- Tour of Britain cycle race travelled through Ramsbottom on 14th September with national TV coverage reaching 750,000 viewers.
- HOPs – All ELR buildings are now listed. All future reactive and planned maintenance works will be logged into system.
- Launch of 13-16 year old’s Youth Group 13-16 due for mid October.
- The West Country weekend with 34092 City of Wells and 34046 Braunton was very successful.
- Buffer Stops now back in the Good Beer Guide along with the Trackside.
- Permanent Way – Person in Charge of Work training course took place on Saturday 21st September for Saturday team leaders.
- 3rd IOSH Managing Safely Course to be held late October.
Bury Transport Museum
Scammel and Trailer
A long term project is in its final stages. Last week the van trailer was moved with the Scammel Scarab tractor unit using the coupling gear for the first time in approximately 30 years. The van trailer has spent much of the last 12 months being rebuilt, and the tractor unit is due to be repainted in the next couple of weeks, bringing it up to display smartness.
Since the last report the following work has been completed.
1 x Boiler washouts, 4 x 7 day exams, 2 x 14 day exams.
Steam loco’s serviceable 5 out of 6 locomotives available – 32 “Thomas” Stopped with repairs to eccentric straps.
34092 – Now running again with its own tender after successful completion of bearing repairs to trailing tender wheelset, Tender from West coast rail returned to Carnforth in next 10 days.
Jinty – Boiler work is still progressing slower than planned due to availability of contractor, Axlebox work is now on final stages, with boxes due to be metalled and final machined in the coming weeks, work on the wheel lathe has recommenced and will hopefully be completed soon so wheels can be turned and journals finals polished and machined for final sizes for Axlebox machining.
752 – Boiler has been refitted into frame and boiler has been steam tested with only a couple of minor issues to resolve, cladding work will commence shortly. Drawings and re-design work on brake system on going, re-design work to be verified by Josh Bowmaker as independent engineer, smoke box has now been fitted, chimney and smokebox door. Main steam pipes have been repaired and hydraulic tested.
Work completed within last 4 weeks are as follows;
1 x Annual safety exams, 21 Service check exams, 2 x A exams 1 x B Exam
Vehicles available for Traffic
Diesel Locos/ Units available – 18/ 1 – Stopped – 50015 Liner seals
Recent Type 1 – 3 day went well operationally with no issues with locomotives, no idea on takings at this stage.
Work in progress currently:
* Radiator leaks on 09024
* Liner repairs to Class 50015
* Repairs/Exam on 76 Ton rail crane
Carriage & Wagon
Work complete in last 4 weeks are as follows:
2 x B exams, 1 x C exams and 7 x A Exams
4933 – released to traffic after door frame repairs and VBO, 25385 in shed having repairs to door frames and crash pillars, ETH has been repaired and re-instated.
4996 and 4647 have also need for repairs to door frame legs.
1665 – Exterior repaint, interior Refurb and Kitchen floor replacement
4350 – Interior and exterior refurb – new toilet floors and internal panelling, re-upholster – expected back in service Jan/Feb 2020.
Staff & Volunteers Album
Meet Mark Hill our new Commercial Manager. Mark is an established marketing, event planning and retail professional with front-line experience of heritage railway operations with West Somerset Railway.
Meet Ross Eckersley one of our great volunteer carriage cleaners for over 20 years who was just coming of carriage cleaning for the Thomas the Tank event when I bumped into him.
Meet Jeff Armstrong our new Operations Manager who joins the East Lancs Railway with 39 years railway experience with British Rail-Railtrack-Network Rail-North Yorkshire Moors- Railway and Saudi Arabia Railway.
Jeff feels right at home at the ELR and has already volunteered to be one of the Santas on our up coming Santa Specials season.